About Ash Township
Ash Township is located in the northern portion of Monroe County, Michigan. We are bound by Huron Charter Township (Wayne County) to the north, Exeter Township to the west, Berlin Charter Township to the east and Frenchtown Charter Township to the south. Ash Township is approximately 36 square miles in area, and has one incorporated Village within its boundaries. The Township is located approximately 20 miles south of Detroit, 35 miles east of Ann Arbor, and 30 miles north of Toledo, Ohio.
We have direct access to I-275, with exits at Oakville-Waltz Rd, Carleton Rockwood Rd, and Telegraph. We also have direct access to US-24. We are a General Law Township, with a population of 8,500 residents.
We are on the southern tear of the Detroit Water service area. Seventy percent of Ash Township is serviced with Detroit water. The remainder of Ash Township's residents is on well systems approved by Monroe County Environmental Health Department. The Village of Carleton operates its own waste water treatment plant, which offers very limited services outside of the Village boundaries.
Police protection is provided by Monroe County Sheriff Department and the Michigan State Police. Ash Township provides fire protection through a volunteer fire department, which consists of two stations. Station number 1 is on Maxwell Rd and Station number 2 is on Ready Rd, adjacent to Ash Township Hall. There are currently 43 members on the Fire Department. Roads are under the jurisdiction of the Federal Highway Department (FDH), Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT), and the Monroe County Road Commission (MCRC).
The majority of the roads are primary and local roads, which the Township, in conjunction with MCRC maintain. Ash Township operates a Library in conjunction with the Monroe County Library System, in the Village of Carleton.
Ash Township History
Ash Township was organized out of Frenchtown Township by the Legislative Act of 1837.
"Sec. 54. All that portion of the Township of Frenchtown, as now organized, (in the County of Monroe) which lies north-west of Stoney Creek, in said county, be, and the same is hereby, set off and organized into a separate Township, by the name of Ash; and the first Township meeting therein shall be held at the house of John M. Beaubien, in said Township. (Acts of the Legislature of the State of Michigan; 1837)."
The Township's name was derived from a joust-awakened Arba Ash who blurted out his last name when roused from a nap during a formation meeting. In 1838, Ash Township embraced all that part of the county of Monroe lying northwest of Stony Creek.
Facts and First Families:
- First election held at the house of JOHN BEAUBIEN in 1837.
- First building erected was the MATTHEWS house.
- Village of Carleton laid out in April 1872.
- Pere Marquette and Lake Shore and Michigan Southern and Flint railroads cross in Village.
- MATTHEWS race track attracted fast horses.
- Carleton Village maintained a uniformed brass band.
- 1890 businesses included: steam cider mill, lumber yard, photograph gallery, charcoal manufacturer, meat market, wagon and smith shop undertaker, saw mill, furniture store, 3 physicians, 1 dentist.
- Families: DANIEL MATTHEWS, CHARLES KENT, WILLIAM HICKOK, JOHN HOOD, EDWARD KAHLBAUM.
Top 5 Ancestries:
(1990 Census): German (3,458), Irish (1,611), French (1,162), Polish (959), English (861).
Statistics per 1830 Census:
Population 1,011; 4 saw mills; 2 merchants; 3,965 bushels of wheat; 30 bushels of rye; 3,815 bushels of corn; 3,750 bushels of oats; 520 bushels of buckwheat; 200 lbs. of flax; 14 tons of potashes; 772 head neat stock; 149 horses; 32 sheep; 847 hogs.
Statistics per 1990 Census:
Population 7,480 (3,756 males/3,724 females); 2,644 total housing units; 3.26 persons per family; 216.2 persons per sq. mile; 1,294 students in elementary or high school (13.9% in private schools); 70.3% of persons 25+ high school graduates or higher.